So many times I've been in a worship service and heard folks pray for many things... Health, family struggles, job searches... And sometimes, in the very same prayer, we go on to ask God for something that I find very interesting; that God would help us to forget about all the things that are going on in our lives and focus only on Him.
What?
I mean, I guess I get it on a certain level. I know all of this is well-intentioned. I can appreciate that we want to give God everything and that we want to recognize His supremacy over all the other things that might be going on in our lives. He is certainly bigger than any of our problems. Yet, I struggle with this idea of God wanting us to forget about all that's going on in our lives when we come to worship Him.
When the Geresene Demoniac came to Jesus, he hardly put his "distractions" away for the moment. I doubt that the woman caught in adultery was able to check her troubles at the door once she found herself in the presence of Jesus.
Oddly enough, in these and so many other cases, it seems to be all those problems that drove these folks TO Jesus. Maybe we should allow all of our "distractions" to do the same thing. Of course, that would get kinda messy, wouldn't it?
No comments:
Post a Comment