Monday, February 4, 2013

Super Bowl Ads... did you notice this?

Okey Dokey...
So after driving four and a half hours to get home with a ticking time-bomb in the back seat (aka, my son, who currently has RSV and whose body is producing enough snot right now that it makes him puke on a semi-regular basis.... seriously, i never want to see that in my rear-view mirror ever again) I was excited to be home in time to catch a few Super Bowl commercials... Then I saw them.... It was quite disappointing... Did anyone else think we saw an inordinate amount of commercials for CBS TV shows? And what was up with all those beer commercials that weren't even funny? It's just wrong.

I digress...

Here's what I did see in an ad that I thought was at least somewhat entertaining...


Did you catch that? From :05 to :14 there's some small text at the bottom of the screen that reads "fictionalization." Was that really necessary? Okay, maybe we should give them the benefit of the doubt here. After all, a LOT of things happened in that nine seconds

Is it actually impossible to swim in water like that?
Do lifeguards not actually jump in to save people any more?
Are you telling me that guy didn't actually punch a great white shark in the face?
Do great white sharks really exist?
Should I discount any ideas I had of being able to carry my wife like that in the future?
I think he was breathing there... is that no longer possible?

Bottom line is this (no pun intended)... Every time I see one of those little disclaimers on an ad what I read is "All the people watching this are so stupid that we can't possibly count on them to be able to distinguish this ridiculous ad from real life. Therefore, we'll put this single line of insanely small text up here for a few seconds, and thereby keep our butts out of trouble when one of them inevitably tries to punch a shark in the face."

We are living in an age of ever-decreasing personal responsibility. Just for once, can't a civil court judge somewhere just look someone in the eye and just tell them to quit being an idiot? Anyone with me on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment