If you listen to the wrong voices, it won't take you long to become convinced that, no matter what you're doing, you have no hope and you're destined to fail.
You're not good enough...
You don't really have time to do it right...
The economy is kicking your butt...
No one is hiring...
The instructor is the worst I've ever seen...
Depending on what you're trying to accomplish, you can easily find a way to excuse yourself and give up... if that's what you're into. (Of course, this brings up the classic question: If you're trying to fail, and you succeed, did you really?...I digress)
If you spend time reading blogs like this one, odds are that you have some level of ambition...some kind of goal in mind for where you're headed and you're likely wrestling with it on a daily basis. You're also probably a lot like me in that you know a number of other people who have some goals that they are working on, as well. Some are just plain goofy. (A friend of mine once counted how many times he went to the bathroom in a year.) And others are completely life-changing. (Change your health, change your life.)
At the risk of making things sound overly simple and cliched, I want to refer all of you to an article I read about athletic accomplishment. In short, the article lays out the point that those who enjoy the process of getting to their goal are much more likely to reach the "win." In other words, if you can figure out a way to enjoy those interviews, find amusement in how much you sweat during that workout, make a game out of teaching yourself the things that the instructor is missing, you're much more likely to get to the end of the process and be "grinning like the cheshire cat." That's how my mom would put it.
The best part of any challenge has got to be the getting there part. Otherwise, the accomplishment, will have a bit of a hollow quality to it...just another flash-in-the-pan.
I'm going to offer something today I haven't done before. If you are in the middle of a challenge in your life that is very important to you and you are finding little or no ability to enjoy some element of the process, I want to invite you to email me about your situation (find my email address below). I would love to do all I can to help. I'm not an expert, but I do believe that when we help each other, each of us is better off. Please put "FINDING FUN" in the subject line so I don't miss you. I figure this is the least I can do. After all, you've already made my life more fun just by being a reader.
Email me at jasonbterry at me dot com. I look forward to hearing from you!
No comments:
Post a Comment