Saturday, January 21, 2017

Honest Questions for Trump Protesters

Honest and transparent question time...
"Protestors" smashed windows with a variety of objects in
Washington, DC Friday. A Starbucks and Bank of
America were among buildings vandalized. 

I see all kinds of stuff about "protests" happening...people at the state capitols, people throwing stuff through windows... here's what I want to know; what is it, exactly, that people are protesting? What injustice has been done? Because, based on what many of the protesters are doing, you can't tell. There is no specific message being put forth that seems to add up to a protest. If they are simply protesting the fact that Trump is now President, that seems to make every bit as much sense as protesting that the sky is blue and water is wet.


I read that there is already a group that has formed to seek out his impeachment...within HOURS of his inauguration. Really? He hasn't even done anything yet. There were people screaming to impeach Obama for eight years. How effective was that? How many of those groups were seen as legitimate?

a limousine set ablaze by protestors in Washington, DC on inauguration day
A limousine set ablaze by "protestors" in
Washington, DC on Inauguration Day
There are people out there destroying others' property in the name of "protest." (What did that Starbucks do to you?) This kind of thing isn't a protest. It's a temper tantrum at best and a mindless riot at worst. Violence and destruction of property is the equivalent of that kid flailing on the cereal aisle floor because he figures if he can cause enough of a scene and heap tons of embarrassment on his mom or dad, he will eventually get his way.

Where is the discourse?

Where is the intelligent exchange of ideas?

If you want to express some kind of dissent, please do it in ways that can be productive. Talk to your legislators. Make phone calls. Write letters. Write an editorial for the newspaper. Build a website and spread your ideas. Even if you disagree with me, I want you to express your ideas because I have been wrong before and I'll be wrong again. It might be something you say that helps me get better understanding. If you do this right, you can make all of us better. So, drop that brick or crowbar. Take a deep breath. Figure out how to verbalize what's in your head and your heart and then find someone to talk to about it all. I, for one, will be ready to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment